Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I LOVE AMERICA!

This is an essay Risi wrote for the Freedom Festival here in Utah County held during the 4th of July. She really entered because she was told she can win $200. Which I kind of thought was funny, but it put her to work, and she worked really hard on this. It's so funny what motivates her, for every 'A' grade she gets, she can receive a free Krispy Kreme donut. As soon as she realized that she has had straight A's barring the A- in math. The spelling bee, she wanted the shiny medal to wear around her neck. What ever works. I think she did a fabulous job on this. I realize I am biased, and that I also shared it with some of you, forgive me for the repetetion. But, now it's here for all to see. Ris - you rock! I love you so much.

I LOVE AMERICA!

Our country now is currently in a war, fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq. I know about it because I know a soldier that is serving now, he is my next door neighbor, Charlie, and he is a Marine. A few weeks ago two soldiers in Charlie’s unit died. Charlie was talking to the group while their vehicle ran over a bomb. My neighbors told me these soldiers Charlie knew believed very much in God. Charlie is one of my hero’s because he is risking his life for America, and this is the second time he has risked his life. This is a quote he said, “I'm in Afghanistan fighting for a cause I believe to be just. I just really miss my wife. I have awesome friends and family. Life has been good to me.” Charlie H.

One of my other greatest hero’s is my grandpa, he also was a Marine. He served in the Vietnam War. He lived in Tonga and wanted to be an American citizen, he came to America when he was 12. He came here to go to school. While he was there he was fighting in a dangerous place. He was blown up by a land mine. He was willing to die for America and he wasn’t even a true American citizen. All the soldiers around him died. They were his friends. When he was all better our government told him he had two weeks to go back to Tonga. My great-grandma helped him fight for what he was willing to die for to be a true American. Now he is living here in America and after many years is finally a citizen. My mom told me my grandpa said after 911 happened he said he would fight again for America.

I love America. I am grateful for my freedom because I can choose my religion. At my school we have morning meeting, the whole school meets in the gym and we have a patriotic discussion and we say the pledge of allegiance, and we sing our national anthem. I believe the words of the national anthem and the pledge of allegiance. By having morning meeting it makes me be a better citizen. The themes at my school are, moral virtue, patriotism, conscience, excellence, individuality, self government, and cultural literacy, these themes help me want to be a good citizen, and a good American.

I am thankful for the values that my family, my church and school teach me. I am proud to be an American, I love the American Flag. I think that we have had amazing presidents like Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. I think it is very cool we get to vote for our leaders. I don’t know all the things about how government works, but I learned during the last Presidential election about our branches of government. I also have learned about our Constitution and how it happened. I know it was inspired by God. My mom called my school to find out if our school was going to listen to President Obama’s message to school kids this year. I liked what he said.

I love America! America has set many records in the Olympics. In the 2010 winter games we won, 9 gold medals, 15 silver, and 13 bronze medals. I loved watching the winter Olympics with my family. In the 2002 Olympics my mom took me to Salt Lake City. I have pictures with some of the athletes with me in the pictures to. I was only 3 but I got to go to an Olympic hockey game at the Peaks arena in Provo. I also liked watching the last summer Olympics. I love the Olympics. I think it is so awesome the Olympics were in Utah.

All my family lives in America I have 7 people in my immediate family. I also have a large extended family. My entire family loves America. On my moms side of my family their favorite holiday is the 4th of July, especially my grandpa that was in the Vietnam War. On my dads side of my family my grandpa talks about politics a lot. He is a republican. On my dads side of my family my cousins come to Utah during the 4thof July they think we have a great celebration here in Utah. I do to, one 4th of July I was in California and it was not as much fun as Utah.

In the last Presidential election my parents made sure I was aware I knew how important it is to vote. During the primary elections my parents waited at the voting place for 1 ½ hours to vote. They have both voted in every election since they were old enough. My mom really wanted me to see the news about President Obama winning. She also made me watch some of his speeches after he won. I was happy even though I did not understand a lot of it.

I am thankful I live in a country where when I turn 18 I can vote. I feel sad for countries that don’t let people choose their Presidents. I also can’t believe there are really countries where women can not vote. This is not right. I am just glad I don’t live in one of these places. I also hope that when I am a mom I can teach my kids the things I am learning at home, in school, at church and in life.

I think the most important things in life are family, God, and America. I am so proud to be American. I think I would hate to live in any other country. I love America!


Marisa Crist

4th grade (10 years old)

4 comments:

Mary said...

Marisa -- I love your essay! I agree with you. Utah was also one of the very first states to give women the right to vote, yea! I miss Utah every 4th of July. I have never lived anywhere (even in New England) that has something as fun as the Freedom Festival in Provo. Good Job!

Suzanne said...

She is amazing! You are raising such a smart young girl. What a great job...

Good luck with the contest! Even if you don't win the dough, Marisa, you should be very proud of your essay.

Kelly said...

Risi... Nice work on the Straight A! Smartie pants... I knew way back in the day when I would pick you up from Preschool that you were Super Smart!

I LOVE the Essay! That needs to be printed and Framed and given out to Grandpa! I think you should have been given $500. I love America and would never want to live any where else! We are Blessed!

I miss you bad! Spring time seems to remind me of Sweet Orem and You!
I hope Easter was good for you all!
xoxoxox

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Wow! What a fantatic essay! Are you sure Marisa isn't 16 years old? Out of the mouth of babes.