Saturday, June 13, 2009

The new neighbor

The other day as I was outside I notice the lady who just bought the house down the street was outside. For our church we have callings. I worth with the teenage girls in our ward. I was told there was a 12 year old girl living in this house with her grandparents. I saw them outside, so I decided to introduce myself. As I walked down the street I gathered Miles out of his usual spot in the middle of the road. He had on a pair of shorts, no shoes, no shirt and was very chocolatey. Furthermore, currently I do not know where 2 matching shoes are. I realized I may not be making the best first impression as I walk with my screaming, homeless looking child to meet this kind lady, yet against better judgement I proceeded. I was warned the girl is extremely shy, being the mother of 2 extremely shy daughters I thought to myself, no problem, 'I GOT THIS.' I introduce myself to Grandma and tell her who am I and what I do for my church calling. She told me her grand daughter had not been to church since before she was 8. I really went in with the intentions of trying to see if I could help this girl with making some friends, not really dragging her to church, that's not my style. Grandma asks me where I live, I pointed to our house and tell her I have 4 children and that of course Miles does not always look like this, there are a good 2-3 minutes post bath that he appears to be cared for. Grandma has a strange look on her face and then says, "Oh your the mom with the all those kids that are always in the middle of the road." I defensively replied, "actually only 4 of them are mine."
So our first meeting didn't go so well. And, grandma had no intentions of sending grand daughter to play softball with me today. She kindly replied maybe they would stop by the game but they never showed up. I've decided to turn the fellowshipping of new girl over to the other neighbors. Heaton's are on it now, Emily has already been over, and certainly could not have crashed and burned as badly as I did.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Oh, how sad! You had such good intentions! As a Grandma she should understand about naked chocolaty boys, but maybe she just forgot. Let's promise to not forget.