Thursday, December 9, 2010
Robby
My sweet, sweet Robby has some serious medical problems with his kidneys. We/I found out from our ex-pediatrician that he had some blood in his urine. I know that I have a mother's intuition generally. However, let me express as I left this doctors office I knew I KNEW, it was more serious than him telling me to bring him back in a month. I called a close friend who is now practicing, (love him) anyhow, he got us in Friday and immediately sent us to do lab work, ultra sound of kidney and bladder, more urine, and blood. Matt aka Dr. Clayton called me Saturday morning and told us the blood in the urine was very high. Blood in urine with a count of 1-8 is something not to worry about, Robby's has always been plus 40 - off the chart high. Matt told us to come back in Monday. The next step was getting him to pediatric specialist, which he suggested a urologist. It is next to impossible to get into pediatric specialist in a timely manner. No really. Which is stupid because we live in kidville USA. I mean, unless your kid is dying, don't plan on a specialist quickly not nice but true. We got in on November 29 after many more urine samples all with a lot of blood in the urine. Robby also had protein in his urine sometimes, but not often. I think 3 out of 15 samples. The urologist appointment was horrible. Long story short, we were sent to nephrology (kidney doc). We already had a scheduled apt for today, urologist told me to get him in sooner. We did that. We were told by both doctors he has a kidney disease.
I prayed a lot, I cried a lot, I fasted, Robby had a blessing and many others joined us in praying, fasting etc. I cried and was upset because of all the physical labs that had to be done to him many that were painful.
Today, we went to our original scheduled nephrology we saw a different doctor. Robby and I liked this one better. He was better with kids. He was also very thorough, after the lengthy apt he told us he did not have a kidney disease. I cried. Happy tears. Hold on, forgive me, I failed to mention Tom actually was able to come to this appointment. So, to celebrate we took Robby and Miles to the Zoo. It was a great day. DAY.
I had a call that I didn't answer around 4 from Matt. He had heard from the urologist and nephrologist who told him Robby will need to have an internal look into his kidney and bladder. I then was able to speak with the nurse from urology (who is also great) We will see our urologist on Wed. This procedure will be done on Monday or Tuesday so the doc can have the results when we see him. He will be sedated, thank goodness. If the procedure can't be done on Monday or Tuesday we will have to wait.
Many people have asked how he is doing, I am hoping by blogging this it will let people know.
Thank you everyone for your constant support and concern, prayers, fasting, positive thoughts, etc and etc.
You can email me or comment if you have questions I didn't answer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
wow, Shahara! What an ordeal you're going thru! I think children's health problems are one of the most stressful things for parents--heart-wrenching and overwhelming! Sounds like prayers were answered! Happy day. Good luck with the procedure today or tomorrow! We'll keep you guys in our prayers! xo
Shahara--
While we're all seemingly so busy floundering around during this busy month of December...I know that something like this stops everything in its tracks and becomes of up-most importance & concern. Please know that we wish the very best for Robby and hope that the problem is discovered AND treatable a.s.a.p. All the Doctor's appt/procedures etc are exhausting and draining..I hope you're managing OK and getting the help you need......Love to Robby....Kim & Adam
Dec. 28 - I didn't know any of this until I went to lunch with you and your Mom.(Dec. 22) I'm so sorry I was unaware---but prayers "late" are better than none (from us). And we will get his name in the Nashville Temple. What a horrible ordeal to go through---especially right before Christmas. I'll watch for more updates.
Post a Comment