Monday, November 30, 2009

Happy Birthday to me

It's my 38th birthday, or it was two days ago at approximately 6:00 p.m. So, in honor of me, I'm going to share a story. This is really a take off a friends blog, who got the idea from somewhere else, so it's not really my idea. Don't think I am really all that clever.
Once upon a time there were 6 spirits standing in front of God in heaven. I was one of the six. God told us we were going to be siblings on earth and if we followed the rules we would be together for eternity. I looked at the 5 spirits next to me and I looked them up and down and backwards and forwards, and even sideways, wondering, "do I really want to be with these guys for eternity? Eternity is a mighty long time." God had yet to go wrong by me, so I figured he probably knew what he was doing when he put me together with the other 5. He told us we would be known as the Sanft children, and he instructed us to go on our way as soon it would be time for us to make our heavenly departure and head on down to the place called earth. He said he did not care what order we went, we could work that out among ourselves. Right then for a nano second, I think I questioned the fairness of God, thinking certainly God must have known I needed to be first, I was female, if there were to be 6 kids ascending on this Mother Sanft within 12 earthly years, and the first 4 within 6 years, this woman was going to need some help. Thankfully, only 3 of us cared who went first. We decided to let rock, paper, scissors decide our fate. Doran won, so he went first, I came in second, Ryan third, that is how our birth order was decided.
The story isn't really about them, it's about me, and my arrival to the place called earth. My earthly mother had a baby, and soon after that baby she found out she was pregnant with another baby. She miscarried that baby. Then right away she was with child again, this time it was me. Mind you, I followed Doran 18 months after is arrival. I simply knew I needed to get here and grow myself up so I could help this poor woman who soon would have a house full of babies. She did have 4 of us in 5 1/2 years. What in the world was she thinking? Or maybe it was us looking down and being all eager to get here, nevertheless, we arrived and she was glad I was here because I was helpful. I changed Kameron's cloth diapers and only stuck him with those giant pins a few times.
Back to the story being about me, so, mother Sanft was almost 9 months pregnant. She drank a lot of coke a cola while she was pregnant with me, so when the labor pains came she thought it was the caffeine at work. It was November 29, 1971, the day I would arrive. She had a doctor's appointment around noon. She left Doran with her bff and went to the appointment. At the appointment as the doctor checked her he said, "Mrs. Sanft you are in labor, you need to go straight to the hospital. I'll meet you there." She mentioned something about having to get Doran and some other nonsense, but doctor set her straight and off to the hospital she went in labor, driving herself. I assume my father arrived sometime before 6. Although, he worked long hours and rarely left a job unfinished, so it's possible he didn't show up until after his work day was done. I've never thought about asking. The excitement in the good ole days was not knowing the sex of the baby. They didn't know I was a girl until I came out. I screamed a lot, and was told I did until I was about 3 years old. I wasn't very happy about Ryan pretty much taking over the womb the minute I exited. I was named after my auntie Hara, (Shahara obviously.) I'm glad, I've always really loved her. My grandfather Sanft lived in Tonga and I read some letters he sent my mom or maybe my dad, he mentioned they should name me Moana. It was a good Tongan name. I wonder how or if my life would be different if I were named Moana. One of my close friends is named Moana. I call her Mo-town, she is beautiful and her name fits in a way it really wouldn't for me.
Sooner than I ever expected all 6 of us were here. Adam was 5 years old and the 5th child when my mom said she was pregnant with another baby. It had been 5 years, so I assumed she was done having babies. Doran was headed to high school and she would send Adam off to kindergarten, the way I look at it now that I am grown with 4 kids of my own, she almost had it made. We were all almost in school. I was 12 when Maile my one and only sister arrived. I waited for what seem like EVER for a sister, she was worth the wait, even if it meant I had to give up the joy I found in being the only girl. I loved taking care of her, and I was pretty good at taking care of babies by then.
My mom was pretty amazing, phenomenal really, she made us homemade fancy birthday cakes. She cooked breakfast and dinner every day of my life. We all ate together at the dinner table. I am sure even made us lunch, but as soon as we were sent off to elementary school we ate lunch at school, so I don't remember much about that. She made our holidays fantastic, with homemade Halloween costumes, and quilts for birthdays and funny looking pajamas for Christmas. She was and still is quite talented. We didn't have much money a lot of the time I was growing up, but I never really realized it. My parents were very good at improvising and going without for us. My dad worked very hard all the time I lived at home. He was gone a lot, though I never realized that much to, because when he was around he spent all his time playing with us. God sure did pick out a good set of parents for us. We had a very normal life, with family vacations, piano lessons, sports activities, and even my parents almost getting divorced over BYU football. Well, maybe not the last part, but to say my dad was a little obsessed with BYU football is not and still is not inaccurate.
Mom told me several times she wanted to have lots of children and she wanted us born close together so we would be friends. I wonder if she had that control or if we were all just eager to get down here once we were given the green light from God. One thing I do know for sure, her plan to have us 6 children get along well turned out o.k. We had our battles growing up, but my 5 siblings are easily the greatest siblings anyone could have. Living a life in eternity with them will be quite nice.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

I love that story! I'm so happy when I see families where all of the siblings are close. Jon's family is like that, too.

Happy Birthday, Shahara! (and your name suits you perfectly.)

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I loved your story and have tears in my eyes right now---really! As a mother of six children all born in 11 years, I could relate to everything you said. I would love for one of my children to write such a touching, tender story. I'm know your parents and sibs love you as much as you love them. Family closeness is everything! Great story. It could be the introduction for your personal history, which I'm sure you will write someday. :)

Anonymous said...

That sure puts a great perspective on it!!!! Happy BDAY to you and Risi both. Lets paint that room before another one comes along!!!

Kim

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday! I wish I could have delivered you a Cold Diet Coke to start your day off a Giant Birthday cake and Big Hug! You are the Best! I Miss you like CRAZY!
xoxoxoxox

nicole b said...

Cool "story" Shahara. Loved reading about your family! And I'm amazed by your mom having so many babies so quickly--what a lady! Well, a very happy belated birthday to you!