Monday, May 31, 2010

Summer

I hate waking up early. Today it was 6:47 a.m. and Miles was waking up next to me in my bed. He woke up in the night and ended up next to me. I could sense him looking at me, at the same time dreading getting up and out of my warm blankets. He tapped my face and so sweetly said, "Mommy, look it's a sunny day." I ignored him, and he repeated this process 2 more times. Finally I relented and opened my eyes to his sweet little face. He then says, "Mommy, my tummy is so hungry." That was it, we rolled out of bed and into the kitchen, dang the tile is cold! I got him some breakfast, knowing no one else would be awake for at least another hour. As he ate breakfast I sat on the couch with my diet coke looking out the front windows at our flag lined street for Memorial Day. It really is a beautiful day, blue skies, colors of summer flowers and green trees and grass all around.
I love this time of year. We don't have a schedule. I wake up with whoever is up first, usually Miles. We usually end up at the park or swimming. The kids wake up to a few morning chores they rush through so they can get out into the sun.
As I said, it's Memorial Day, which for me sort of kicks off summer. I am wondering what wonderful things I'll have to write about at the end of August as I reluctantly send kids back off to school. What will be my favorite memory? A trip to Lake Powell, or a vacation to California, and don't forget the 4th of July in Utah County, that never disappoints.
Regardless, I'd much rather be woken up by the sound of my sweet little Miles than by my annoying alarm on my cell phone! I hope you all have a great summer.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Hooray another post from you~! Summer always makes me miss you all the more! Missing our fun summer hang outs! What would I give to have another day with you the kids and a cold coke for us both.

I loved the morning wake up call. Mine was much like yours... Millie came into my room announcing it is "Morning Time" and the Sun is up. Only she wanted chocolate chips and to climb back into bed and eat em. So Heath Millie and myself cuddled up to bowl of Choloclate chips and watched a lil Tv.

Happy Summer! I hope yours is Wonderful! We are wanting to head out that way... I hope I can sneak in and get a hug!

Love you!!!

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Shahara......what a beautiful narrative. I loved it. You painted a very vivid and wonderful picture! May all your summer dreams come true. Continue to enjoy your beautiful little "alarm clocks" all summer and share the adventures with us---please. :)

Suzanne said...

Yup, love summer! I love how the streets in the neighborhood are lined with flags on Memorial Day. And ditto on the no schedule... summer rocks that way. =)