Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Miles

Tom's job is hard for me, most the time I HATE it. I hate that it takes him away from us for 8 days at a time. And, yes it is 8 days - Tuesday morning until Tuesday night. I do know that he is GREAT at what he does, and I think he really enjoys it. He hates being away from us, and I know this, it still sucks! Lately, what makes it especially hard for me has been Miles. Miles is getting very attached to Tom, which I love. Miles had a visit to the ENT and Audiologist we see regularly yesterday. I have been very concerned about his hearing the past 2 months. They had to give him a hearing test that was kind of extensive and timely. So, they strapped his arms to a chair so he couldn't pull out the ear pieces, then he began kicking, they strapped his legs, then he began banging his head against the chair - yes the had type of head gear that wouldn't allow him to move his head. He gave up, and just sobbed. Great big crocodile tears. And, he yelled repeatedly, "I want my daddy." He was crying, I was crying, quite frankly we both wanted his daddy! It was over, and we got results. He doesn't hear in his middle ear - both ears. So, they will place some internal hearing aids in the middle ear on Friday. This is a relatively new procedure and sounds miraculous. I can not imagine him not hearing or hearing with external hearing aids. So, I am feeling blessed, my baby will hear at 100% and after Friday, his life will slowly get better. When I think of all the many things we thought we might face with him physically in those first few months, I am amazed and thankful that this is what we are facing, we can do this. He can do this.
He is doing some very cute and funny things, we call Tom 2-3 times a day when Tom is working, and I put the phone on speaker phone, if Tom doesn't answer and Miles hears the verizon voice message lady he gets so angry - I can't let him hold the phone b/c he will throw it. He says, "Daddy not talking." It's a funny kind of sad thing. He also LOVES the Black Eyed Peas song 'tonights gonna be a good night' he knows all the words and can listen to it over and over and over and...well you get it. He loves Robby, Miles is usually the first to wake up (curses) and after being ignored by me for a few minutes he says , "I go wake Robby up." What can I say, I am smitten by this toddler of mine.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

The child restraint thing is heartbreaking. I learned this while Deac was in the hospital. Part of me just kept hoping that he would keep fighting them, that he wouldn't let them break his little spirit. *sigh* Ugg, I feel for you, Shahara. I'm sorry.

On the flip side, I am very happy that everything will be okay with his hearing. It will be a happy day for him when he can listen to the Black Eyed Peas with 100% hearing. Rock on, Miles. =)

Kelly said...

Oh that must be rough! I am sooo sorry! Nuts! You need to make a list of why its nice to have have your hubby gone... you can climb back into bed once the school kids are gone.. you can eat something easy for dinner, stay in your pjs all day if you want... the house doesn't need to be cleaned up come 5:00... You can have each child take a night to have a Mommy sleep over in your bed. Just a few reasons I can come up with.

I love that Black Eyed peas song... we often Crank it up and let loose!

Good Luck! Wish I was close to help you while Tom is gone! It will make you enjoy and love Tom all the more when he is home!

I love that robbie steps up to his big brother job! Nice!
xoxoxoxo

A&K Sanft said...

We're all thinking of Miles over here today and hope his procedure goes as smoothly as possible for you both.

Best of Luck. We love you Miles.

nicole b said...

Sounds like you've been thru a lot! I can't imagine having Jeff gone for 8 days at a time! You're a trooper. We'll be hoping that all goes well with Miles today and that the procedure works & the pain and suffering is minimal!! I guess this is why the HC and lunch didn't work yesterday! February for sure!

Kelly said...

Hey... how are you holding up after the big day with miles? I have thought of you one Million times! I wish I could have stayed with your kids back home while you were getting miles ears magicaly turned on... I could have cleaned up the house and made you dinner and tucked you both into bed when you arrived home. Ahh being across the map doesn't work to well for times like this! I hope it all went well! What a blessing! I can't wait to read all about it! You are Awesome!

Well we are still here in Florida until this next fri. or Sat.29th Depending on how quick we can pack up the trucks and hit the road. You can send the letters in the mail it takes about 4 days from Utah to Florida... or you can wait and send them to Chicago... we still Don't have a house yet. Can you imagine? I am going nuts...... Hopefully we will have news this week. We have a few offers in on homes just waiting to hear back. Crazy! We may be livng in a hotel for a few days... weeks! I hope Not! But it will be exciting either way!
Our address is
1056 Green Pine Circle
Orange Park, Fl. 32065

Or I can hit you with the chicago address when we have one. I can't wait to see your Christmas card and Maddi would be thrilled to hear from Risi. She is so Beautiful! Those two have got to get back together so they can play Basketball together in high school. Can you imagine how FUN that would be to go and watch them together! Then College ball. If not baksteball something! They were so stinken Cute together!

I miss you like Crazy! Heath and I were looking at your blog together last night saying what fun it was to be your pals. How cute your kids are! We sure miss you!
Hang in with Tom being gone. All hard things come to a end. You just need to make the Best of it. NOT EASY! You are amazing! Good Luck! Wish I could be your helper and live right next to you... someday!

I will watch for blog updates.... Your in my thoughts and prayers!
xoxoxo
Kelly

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

I'm just now reading this (28th). Hope all went really well on Friday! You really had me on a roller coaster with this post---I cried with you while reading of the Dr.'s appt. I sang along as I read about "Tonight's Gonna be a Good Night." I love that song! And I could even relate to having a husband "gone" so many days in a row. It's tough, but you are tough, too. You are wonderfully tough and a great mother.