This is how I spent Miles nap time today. In past years my mother has very generously canned as many peaches as we were willing to pay for. I decided last year it was time I figure out how to do this by myself. I started with a half bushel of pears. I was blown away at how much I enjoyed it. I felt like I had mistakenly stumbled upon a new form of therapy. This season my mom called and asked how I wanted her to do for my family. I told to order 2 bushels and that I would do one and she could do one. She actually enjoys it as well. It wasn't exactly without incident, I had two jars break in the second batch, and during the process I must have called my mom 10 times. I think I know why they broke though, so hopefully that won't happen tomorrow.
Now if I could just figure out how to bake. I can't bake, my poor kids, I can't make a store box of brownies.
7 comments:
Yum! Those look GREAT! So glad you've got the bug. There's no better feeling than looking at all those jars lined up. Pat yourself on the back for me. And I don't beleive for a minute that you can't make brownies from a box. On the other hand, aren't bakeries wonderful! What would they do without our business? :)
you can bake...just don't freak yourself out :) and I want some of those peaches...yummmm!
Yummers those look Delish! I wish I had a batch of fresh canned peaches! You Go Girl! You will Love those all winter long. I hope my kids don't check out your blog anaytime soon...? You are hooked up you can drive down to Shirleys the bakery any time you want. I dream of that place! mmmm!
Love you!
You are awesome. Thanks for lunch... and the pie... and the peaches. You rock. (I can try to teach you to bake, btw. And every year around Christmas I make chocolates. I can teach you that, as well.)
You're my "canning" idol! You're right, it is total therapy, AND a lot of work. This was my first year trying canning, so we haven't eaten any yet...but if my kids like them, I'll definitely do it again. Pears sound yummy. How many jars did you do this year?
Good for you!! It sure gives you a sense of accomplishment doesn't it!!! I am pretty sure if you can can---you can bake!!! Confidence!!!
I remember having those same thoughts the first time I canned. There are so many things you with "hidden" rewards, but these results shine brightly on your countertops! Mmm, pretty.
Post a Comment