Sunday, September 6, 2009

Finished with afternoon snack
Enchilada, cucumber - same thing
Better than chocolate
Thank you Grandma


What you don't just grab a cucumber and start chowing down on one - daily? What's wrong with you?

This is my Buggy, she will eat ANYTHING. If you ask her what her favorite food was for a long time she would say 'enchiladas' I don't know how or where the confusion came from but she was under the impression her much loved cucumbers were called enchiladas. We thought it was funny and kind of cute so we didn't correct her right away. This love of cucumbers started last summer when my mom brought some in from her garden and Maya said she wanted one. My mom washed it and gave a very long skinny cucumber to her, she ate the entire vegetable in about the time someone would eat a banana. She has since come to prefer to have them peeled, but will eat them with the skin on them. I tried to grow a plant and failed. My mother thankfully, did not and has shared her crop with this child who really just might choose an enchilada over a Hershey's bar. She eats about one a day. We buy them all year round. Of course her favorites are fresh from Grandma Sue's garden. Thank you Mom!

I didn't inherit my mom's greatest talents, gardening, cleaning, being a wonderful hostess, decorating, sewing. And, for the most part I'm ok with myself the way I am, but I do wish I had a beautiful yard with a garden full of delicious vegetables, and my girls have said more than once I really need to ask grandma how to sew. That is not going to happen. I've probably embarrassed my mother. It's not the first or last time. Love you Mom, and your enchiladas.

3 comments:

Jen Guthrie said...

we call Jake's intake of fruit and veggies "gummy bear vitamins" be grateful she eats real food! Maya is so cute and could really hang with my oldest who is desperately trying to be a vegetarian except for when her mean mom makes her eat chicken!

Mary said...

Mmmm, love fresh cucumbers. My plants are actually still churning them out, but the days are numbered. Store bought just doesn't compare.

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

I love this cute, cute, cute post. I will never look at another cucumber without thinking in my head: "Ah, enchilda!" I also love Maya's hair cut. These pictures of Maya should grace the cover of a parenting magazine. Too cute!